Custom Search

States in which Coaster Reviews has ridden a coaster.

States in which Coaster Reviews has ridden a coaster.
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

The Cannon Ball - Lake Winnepesaukah - (GA)


Date Ridden: Numerous times with the last being in August of 2008. Times Ridden: Well over 100.

For my 100th post, I was looking for a special review and there is not a more special coaster on my ride list than the Cannon Ball at Lake Winnie.

To begin with, I am certain that this was my first ever roller coaster. I can remember growing up and visiting Lake Winnie right at the end of each summer with our church. We would spend the entire day there with great fellowship, great food, and a gazilion laps on the Cannon Ball. The trips were always a highlight of every summer I had while growing up here in the mountains of northwest Georgia.

Last year, I visited the park again for the first time in many years and was proud of the condition of the park in general and there star attraction. Many wooden coaster which are painted white suffer from neglest which leads to a run-down looking ride. The Cannon Ball is kept meticulously clean and aparkling. The trains are like new and the ride itself is as smooth as any modern wooden coaster. The track is short both in height at a little over 70 feet and in ride length which is probably not much over a minute, but it is still a fun little out-and-back woodie with surprising pops of airtime.

When I was younger, I did not have a clue about airtime, but I knew that the last hop going into the brake run would seriously toss you out of your seat if you didn't hold on tight. I am proud to say that that moment is still there and thanks to the simply buzzbar restraints, you still get some pretty good ejector at the end.

I visited again in August this year and put in four more laps on it. I had a blast riding alone and enjoying a fun element from my past vringing back memories which were always pleasant. I loved the Cannon Ball when I was smaller and still love it today despite it not being overly large or fast. I think that it is obvious by now what types of rides I prefer. I do not care about inversions, intensity, or records. I care about the visual aspect of the ride and the experience it gives me. I enjoy some rides with inversions (Montu, Volcano, Kraken, etc.), some with intensity (Voyage, Magnum, and Boulder Dash) and even some record holders (Dragster, Millennium Force, and El Toro) but I still like simple little coasters the Starliner at Cypress Gardens, the Swamp Fox in Myrtle Beach, and the king of them all, the Phoenix at Knoebels. The Canon Ball fits into that latter category of visually appealing rides that offer a superb experience. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

The final rating is difficult to give. The coaster itself probably scores in the 7 range but my experiences have been 9's and 10's. For that matter, I will go with a solid 8.

Ride the Cannon Ball below. The video does not do this little ride justice

No comments: