Custom Search

States in which Coaster Reviews has ridden a coaster.

States in which Coaster Reviews has ridden a coaster.
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Mantis - Cedar Point (OH)


Date Ridden: Summer of 2006 through 2008. Times Ridden: 6

I like to sit down in a coaster. I do not like to fly, hand, or most assuredly, stand up. Coasters are made to sit comfortably in, not be a torture device with some type of gimmicky restraint system. For that reason, I do not like Mantis. As far as stand-up coasters go, it probably ranks toward the top. B and M did a decent job with the elements. Intensity is definitely not lacking either. However, I simply can not get comfortable unless I am sitting comfortably and that is impossible on Mantis.

When going up the lift hill (and it is very tall), you know that pain is on its way. We here at Coaster Reviews use what we call "The Turtle Method", which means we stand and lean as far out as possible with our heads so we do not bang our ears on the restraints when going through the elements offered by the ride. However, while this helps to avoid a headache, it does nothing for the neck pain that takes place afterward as well as possibly being dangerous. With the head flopping around all over the place, I would definitely not recommend that riding style, however I specifically prefer it to getting my ears bashed.

I really do not hate Mantis. The ride itself looks wonderful, is very intense, and normally has a very short line. I simply do not like stand-up coasters. The GA Scorcher at Six Flags over Georgia is probably my favorite stand-up simply because it is the shortest in length and ride duration. I had rather sit down and enjoy my coasters. That's just how I am.

Overall Rating - 6 (mainly for intensity and aesthetics).

Ride Mantis below. If you watch the people in the camera,, you will see the numerous examples of "ear-banging" into the restraints. Trust me, that hurts.

No comments: